"How are you?" (a.k.a. the midwife poem)
I am good
the way that a midwife is good
coming home from delivering twins
good
the way that you were good
after digging and digging
and making that outhouse
some days,
with my nose above water
but my eyes and mouth still submerged – I persist
other days,
I can feel my roots and perhaps even the sun
I have been shedding old skin –
I am lighter now
but I am also the midnight doula,
gently rocking the precious baby redemption
in my grandmother’s rocking chair
my neck begins to ache
and I have to re-remember the stretches and tonics
for my own healing
but I am so very good
good not because
in the balance, there has been so
much sweetness
but because, somehow amidst so much bitter
and sour, all of my mirrors are getting clean
and so I can see my beautiful self, whether my arms are empty or full
Ilana Streit
March 1, 2010
the way that a midwife is good
coming home from delivering twins
good
the way that you were good
after digging and digging
and making that outhouse
some days,
with my nose above water
but my eyes and mouth still submerged – I persist
other days,
I can feel my roots and perhaps even the sun
I have been shedding old skin –
I am lighter now
but I am also the midnight doula,
gently rocking the precious baby redemption
in my grandmother’s rocking chair
my neck begins to ache
and I have to re-remember the stretches and tonics
for my own healing
but I am so very good
good not because
in the balance, there has been so
much sweetness
but because, somehow amidst so much bitter
and sour, all of my mirrors are getting clean
and so I can see my beautiful self, whether my arms are empty or full
Ilana Streit
March 1, 2010

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home