Writing this poem was one of my main accomplishments of 5767
This poem is addressed to the mainstream Jewish community.
I want to support folks in learning about all of the complexity of Israel, Palestine, and Diaspora Jewish life, and owning our own fears, loves, anger and dreams.
I wrote this poem in March 2007, the day that I left for a Jews in the Woods (JITW) shabbaton. JITW is a Jewish community where I've experienced and contributed to the kind of world I want to be living in.
I want to talk to you about Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if your heart or your womb aches when you are there
and if you are willing to honor that aching and not try to make it go away
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you can say my name
as if it was in the middle of a Hebrew sentence
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you are willing to say and hear with love,
the words Arab, Palestinian, Palestine, Jew, Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have spent time communing with well-loved babies
or with trees or the ocean: if you have known peace
and are willing to save a place at the table for hope
and I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have ever in your life felt at home
If you cry,
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have cried in Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you can listen to me
I want to support folks in learning about all of the complexity of Israel, Palestine, and Diaspora Jewish life, and owning our own fears, loves, anger and dreams.
I wrote this poem in March 2007, the day that I left for a Jews in the Woods (JITW) shabbaton. JITW is a Jewish community where I've experienced and contributed to the kind of world I want to be living in.
I want to talk to you about Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if your heart or your womb aches when you are there
and if you are willing to honor that aching and not try to make it go away
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you can say my name
as if it was in the middle of a Hebrew sentence
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you are willing to say and hear with love,
the words Arab, Palestinian, Palestine, Jew, Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have spent time communing with well-loved babies
or with trees or the ocean: if you have known peace
and are willing to save a place at the table for hope
and I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have ever in your life felt at home
If you cry,
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you have cried in Israel
I only want to talk to you about Israel
if you can listen to me

1 Comments:
I'm in Tel Aviv right now, having just spent seven weeks in Jerusalem; I'm leaving the country on Sunday.
A friend showed me this poem, and it knocks my socks off. I am so grateful that you've written this poem. Thank you.
Post a Comment
<< Home